Friday, January 21, 2011

42nd Street

42nd Street (1933)
Directed by Lloyd Bacon. Starring Warner Baxter, Bebe Daniels, George Brent, and others. Dances and Ensembles by Busby Berkeley.

Okay, add this to the list of "I saw it because I thought I should" films. I figured I should have at least one Busby Berkeley film in my "watched" list, and this was the one I picked.

To be honest, most of this film is nothing to write home about. It has a loosely strung together plot (about the process of putting on a Broadway show), a lot of actors, and it all leads up to a series of musical numbers that could never have happened on a stage in the first place.

So, nothing special, but not a waste of time by any means. This film had some great 30s actresses, an underdog to root for, a few funny lines and swinging musical numbers.

There was one scene, though, that did made me glad I took time to watch 42nd Street... because this film does have at least one CLASSIC Busby Berkeley number. Berkeley is well known for a kaleidoscopic style, where numerous dancers (most often scantily clad women) would be shot from above in such a way to make them look like this, or this. This film had a number that looked like this. (I'm sorry, I can't find a clip -- but I encourage you to look for one!) It was really quite incredible, and definitely worth seeing.

Still, this film certainly isn't something I'd recommend, past a YouTube or Google Image search to get a sense of Berkeley's truly incredible choreography style.

No comments:

Post a Comment