Saturday, January 1, 2011

Introduction to this Blog

In 2010, I watched 125 films. I have opinions about all of them.

I am a film student at the University of Colorado, and am thus both a CU Buff, and a film buff. I have started this blog with the intent of describing and discussing the many films I see, both for my own enjoyment and for school. The films I watch range from the latest Hollywood Blockbuster to the most timeless classics.

I hope to think critically about the movies I watch, and share these thoughts here. In this sense, I will be practicing and synthesizing what I learn in school. However, more than just that, I also hope to talk about these films as I would among friends -- sharing likes and dislikes, and such.

And indeed, I do hope to talk about the films I watch with friends, so I hope that if anyone should stumble across this humble blog among the great wide interwebs, please make this a conversation and leave me a comment. Please share this with friends, if you know others who enjoy film.

This coming spring semester, my only film class will be Film History 2 -- spanning roughly from the beginning of synch sound films to the present. I will certainly be incorporating films from this class on this blog.

One quick note as I embark on this new blog on this, 1/1/11, the start of the new year -- I have talked about and even started many of what you may call "blog projects," and abandoned them, so I will set a specific (and hopefully reachable) goal for this one: I will write about at least 30 movies on this blog before I abandon the effort. Perhaps by that time, I will have had my fill of reviewing and will move on... or I will have grown used to it and will be in favor of continuing with it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is cool :D I hope that you do carry on for more than 30 films. I've had no education in film, but I love film! So, I've been trying to educated myself a little since last year, and places like this blog are my favourite to read about films that I should watch.

    By the way, I counted that I saw 53 films last year :D (tho I started counting mid-year and probably didn't remember all of those that I saw in the beginning of the year).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, hope you stick with this. This is a great idea for a blog, as word of mouth, from people you trust, is not only the best form of marketing, it's also the best way to find new stuff to like! I probably watch as many, if not more, films than that per year (ask Kristen, I drive her nuts with movies). So I'd love to hear about films I havent' seen yet. Good luck with the project.

    ReplyDelete